University of Toledo FS Josh Teachey (8) celebrates returning a blocked PAT for a touchdown against Tulsa during the third quarter of a football game Saturday, September 16. BLADE/JEREMY WADSWORTH
Here is a look at the MAC West power rankings. Northern Illinois is the big mover courtesy of a big upset win at Nebraska.
1. Toledo (Last week: 1) – The Rockets sit at 3-0 after claiming a wild 54-51 win over Tulsa, which was its biggest test of the season thus far. Now Toledo prepares for a trip to Miami for a matchup with the No. 14 Miami Hurricanes.
2. Northern Illinois (Last week: 5) – The Huskies got the marquee win for the MAC so far in the non-conference schedule with a 21-17 victory at Nebraska. Northern Illinois, which sits at 2-1, shocked the Cornhuskers with two defensive touchdowns. The Huskies are off this week before facing another good opponent in San Diego State.
3. Eastern Michigan (Last week: 2) - The Eagles had a bye week this week and drop one spot after thanks to Northern Illinois. Eastern Michigan is 2-0 after a big win last week at Rutgers. The Eagles open their MAC schedule with a big game against Ohio on Saturday.
4. Western Michigan (Last week: 4) – The Broncos took care of business at home against Idaho in a 37-28 win for its first win of the season. Western Michigan will now face Wagner this weekend. The Broncos, which lost to USC and Michigan State, still could end up as one of the top teams in the MAC West once conference play starts.
5. Central Michigan (Last week: 3) – The Chippewas fall two spots after a 41-17 loss at Syracuse. Central Michigan now sits at 2-1 overall after thrashing Kansas in the second game of its season. The Chippewas have a big game this weekend as they open MAC play against a solid Miami team.
6. Ball State (Last week: 6) – The Cardinals got an easy 28-13 win over Tennessee Tech this past weekend. The Cardinals are 2-1 on the season with their only loss on the season coming at Illinois. Ball State goes on the road this week to play a tough Western Kentucky team.