skip navigation

Clyde kicks late field goal to earn 30-28 win at Anthony Wayne

09/08/2017, 10:57pm EDT

Generals led 14-0 and 21-7 in first half; Fliers pitch second half shutout

Anthony Wayne tackle Nathan Barney (75) recovers a Clyde fumble during Friday's game. THE BLADE/JEREMY WADSWORTH

After Anthony Wayne imposed its will on Clyde in the first half, the Generals offensive attack ground to a halt in the second as the Fliers prevailed on a last-second field goal on Friday night.

Clyde senior Seth Hohman drilled a 32-yard field goal with 6 seconds left to give the Fliers a dramatic 30-28 triumph over host AW.

At the half, the Generals had rolled up 323 total yards and scored four touchdowns to take a 28-21 lead. But Clyde then held AW to just 91 yards in the second half and zero points.

IN PICTURES: Clyde 30, Anthony Wayne 28

Down by one point with 6:39 left, Clyde put together a 16-play drive that covered 57 yards to get into field goal range. Hohman then had plenty of distance on the winning field goal.

After taking over at their own 28-yard line down 28-27, the Fliers ran the ball 12 times to take time off the clock. Clyde converted on fourth and 7 at the AW 37 with 1:42 remaining. Clyde senior quarterback Trevor Burtch hooked up with Carson Rieman on a 10-yard pass play. Burtch picked up another first down with a 10-yard strike to Logan Riehl to the Generals’ 17. Four plays later Hohman booted in the decisive field goal.

“We won’t get too high or too low but to shut a team of that caliber out in the second half is pretty impressive,” Clyde coach Ryan Carter said.

The Generals led 14-0 and 21-7 in the first half. But in the second half AW fumbled on its first drive, punted on its next possession, and turned the ball over on downs midway through the fourth quarter.

Clyde (3-0) scored the only points in the second half to remain undefeated. AW fell to 2-1.

WATCH: Clyde at Anthony Wayne

The first two quarters featured a series of offensive explosions as the teams combined for 49 points.

AW senior Nick Schneider, a quarterback and receiver, accounted for 312 total yards with 198 rushing and 114 receiving. He also scored on TD runs of 60 and 91 yards and scored on a 60-yard TD pass from QB Max Denman. But all of the TDs came in the first half.

Carter said his team made adjustments on defense at the half to hold Schneider and company in check.

“We pinched our line in a little bit because they were killing us up the middle in the first half,” he said. “[Schneider] is a great player. But we shut that off a little bit and we adjusted.”

AW coach Andy Brungard said his team was still averaging about five yards a carry in the second half, but made too many mistakes.

“We hurt ourselves. We had three drives where we were rolling and we had penalties a fumble that set us back,” Brungard said. “Don’t take anything away from Clyde. They played well down the stretch. They played better than we did. But you can’t have penalties and turnovers that kill drives. It cost us the game.”

Brungard said his team must learn from Clyde’s late and long drive.

“They had the momentum and we’re driving us up front,” he said. “They smashed mouth us at the end. We have to learn from that.”

Clyde outgained AW 159-91 in the second half and 442-414 overall. Burtch completed 30 of 31 passes for 296 yards with his top target Carson Rieman pulling down six catches for 138 yards.

Schneider accounted for 300 yards in the first half (188 rushing yards and 122 receiving yards). AW grabbed a 21-7 lead after one quarter. On fourth and 1, Schneider galloped 60 yards up the middle for the game’s first TD. AW then seized a 14-0 lead on Max Guitteau’s 2-yard run. The key on the drive was a 46-yard passing play from Denman to Schneider.

Clyde answered with a nine-play drive that covered 87 yards. Burtch connected with Jaylan Johnson on a 13-yard TD pass to make it 14-7 AW with 2:09 left in the opening quarter.

The Generals then went up 21-7 as Denman, who finished 7 of 14 for 139 yards, connected with Schneider on a 60-yard TD pass. The Fliers then scored on a two-yard TD run by Braydi Clark (100 rushing yards total) to make it 21-14 with 10:07 left in the second.

But Schneider responded with a QB keeper that covered 91 yards for a 28-14 lead. Burtch responded with a 1-yard TD sneak to make it 28-21 with 3:21 left in the first half.

Midway through the third, Clyde scored on a 16-yard TD pass from Burtch to Logan Riehl. A fumble recovery by Lewis Orr set up the score.

Anthony Wayne’s Jacob Neumeyer intercepted Burtch near the end of the fourth quarter when Burtch was hammered by Nathan Barney as he released the ball. The Generals then put together an 11-play drive before a holding penalty stalled it and they turned the ball over on downs.

The Generals open up Northern Lakes League play next Friday at Southview (1-2).

“Competition doesn’t define us. It refines us,” Brungard said. “We have things we like. But we also have things to improve on.”

Contact Mark Monroe at mmonroe@theblade.com419-724-6354, or on Twitter @MonroeBlade.

Recommended for You

Contests & Promotions

Clyde kicker Seth Hohman kicks the game winning field goal against Anthony Wayne. THE BLADE/JEREMY WADSWORTH

Most Popular

Tag(s): High School  Anthony Wayne  Mark Monroe